Senior Statutory Planner (Urban Growth)
- Full/Part Time/Casual - Permanent/Temporary role
- Salary starting at $ 93,941.00 plus superannuation
- Great work - life balance | Flexible working options available
Are you looking for an organisation that supports staff through career development and flexible work options?
Do you want to escape the city life and experience the regional lifestyle?
Wodonga Council supports its staff in accessing genuine flexible work and leave options to balance our work and personal commitments including options such as working from home, flexible start and finish times, paid parental leave arrangements and purchasing additional leave.
Wodonga is a progressive, well-planned, growing city that is affordable, offers an abundance of opportunities and is led by strong, empathetic stewardship. We aim to strengthen our community in all that we do.
Want to read more about life in Wodonga? Click here or visit our website here.
Wodonga Council is committed to serving the community and we are dedicated to providing high quality services across the community.
We are a values driven organisation that is committed to building healthy and engaged teams who benefit from our flexible work options, health and wellbeing initiatives, and development opportunities, so that we grow as individuals and as an organisation. We recognise the importance of balancing work and life and understand that priorities change with time.
At Wodonga Council we offer meaningful work and take pride in what we do.
• To respond to and provide high-level planning advice and recommendations on growth area planning matters in accordance with statutory requirements; the Growth Area Precinct Structure Plan, Development Contribution Plan and the council’s policies and procedures.
• To brief the council and the council’s executive on complex planning proposals.
• To represent the council at VCAT and assist in the preparation of submissions by other officers.
• To build relationships with the Growth Area development community.
• To represent the council at developer forums, planning consultation meetings, mediation sessions and other information provision forums. P. 2
• Contribute to the efficient and effective operation of the statutory planning service through positive participation as a valued team member.
Key aspects of the role include:
• Provide concise, high-level technical and/or specialised planning advice both verbally and in writing to staff, the council and the general public in a prompt and courteous manner.
• Represent the council at mediation meetings, the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT), other bodies and court proceedings in respect of town planning matters.
• Assess permit applications and Development Plans within Wodonga’s Growth Area in respect to the Planning and Environment Act 1987, Subdivision Act 1988, the Wodonga Planning Scheme and other relevant statutes and regulations in accordance with legislative requirements
• Act on the council's behalf where delegated pursuant to the Planning and Environment Act 1987 or any other relevant acts.
• Provide input in evaluating, understanding, interpreting and learning legislative changes and draft amendments to the various acts, regulations, schemes and policies as required.
Key Selection Criteria:
Our ideal candidate will be able to show us their:
1. Tertiary qualifications in town planning or a relevant discipline with relevant experience (Victorian local government experience desirable).
2. Demonstrated experience in Growth Area planning and/or developer contribution management.
3. Excellent interpersonal, communication and customer service skills to communicate and liaise with counterparts in other organisations to discuss and resolve planning matters.
4. Ability to interrogate and resolve moderately complex planning matters.
5. Ability to manage time, set priorities and organise work, both independently and as part of a team, to achieve set objectives despite conflicting pressures.
How to Apply
Visit our website www.wodonga.vic.gov.au/careers
Use the “apply” button to commence your application.
Applicants will be required to upload three documents.
- A document addressing the key selection criteria as outlined above (support on how to address this criteria can be found here)
- A brief cover letter
- A current resume
Prior to commencement, the successful applicant will be required to provide the following.
- A copy of a recent National Police Check (less than 3 months)
- A current driver’s licence
- Any other mandatory requirements outlined in the position description (eg. first aid, CPR, WWCC, forklift).
- The completion of a pre-employment functional assessment (paid for by the council) might also be required.
If applicable, evidence regarding right to work in Australia will need to be presented.
Kathryn Oswald – Team Leader Statutory Planning - 0435 276 190| firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close 11:59pm, Monday 27th, November, 2023.
Position description below
Wodonga Council is committed to the safety and wellbeing of all children and young people.
Wodonga Council is an equal opportunity employer and provides many benefits for staff, including:
- Employee health and wellbeing programs;
- Flexible work arrangements;
- Learning and development; and,
- Career pathways and opportunities.
The organisation prides itself on having a positive and supportive culture. We are committed to ongoing learning and development opportunities to grow and enhance the skills of our staff. We have a strong commitment to the council’s corporate values of trust, integrity, learning and respect.
We encourage applications from the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community; people with a disability; people from any gender identity and sexuality orientation; and, people from every age, culture and ethnic background.
If you have special needs that we can address to assist you to submit your application or to fully participate in the selection process, please contact us.
We welcome applications from veterans and defence families. If you are a veteran and would like to discuss how your skills may transfer across, please contact us at email@example.com.