Team Leader Financial Accounting
- Permanent Leadership role
- Salary starting at $108,499.15 plus superannuation
- Great work - life balance | Flexible working options available
Are you ready to lead a team to deliver an exciting agenda?
Are you looking for an organisation that supports staff through career development and flexible work options?
Do you want to escape the city life and experience the regional lifestyle?
Wodonga Council supports its staff in accessing genuine flexible work and leave options to balance our work and personal commitments including options such as working from home, flexible start and finish times, paid parental leave arrangements and purchasing additional leave.
Wodonga is a progressive, well-planned, growing city that is affordable, offers an abundance of opportunities and is led by strong, empathetic stewardship. We aim to strengthen our community in all that we do.
Want to read more about life in Wodonga? Click here or visit our website here.
Wodonga Council is committed to serving the community and we are dedicated to providing high quality services across the community.
We are a values driven organisation that is committed to building healthy and engaged teams who benefit from our flexible work options, health and wellbeing initiatives, and development opportunities, so that we grow as individuals and as an organisation. We recognise the importance of balancing work and life and understand that priorities change with time.
At Wodonga Council we offer meaningful work and take pride in what we do.
Reporting to the Manager of Finance, this role will lead a team responsible for functions including accounts payable and receivable, financial accounting and revenue management. We are looking for an experienced accountant with proven leadership qualities, with a strong focus on team culture and staff development. The Team Leader will engage with a range of stakeholders such as council staff, councillors, contractors, auditors, committee members and suppliers.
Key aspects of the role include:
- Effectively lead the Finance Team in the provision of high quality financial and statutory reporting;
- Lead the preparation and co-ordination of the annual financial statements and other publications, mainly for external stakeholders;
- Coordinate the provision of information to external auditors, liaise with external auditors and be a key participant in the external auditor relationship;
- Ensure adherence to all relevant accounting standards and legislation, regulations, policies and procedures. This includes relevant taxation legislation relating to local government such as GST, FBT and Withholding tax;
- Ensure that appropriate systems and controls are in place and are regularly reviewed and tested;
- Ensure a robust suite of reporting is developed and enhanced to meet Council’s requirements;
- Meet Council’s obligations to suppliers; and
- Balance and manage the expectations of customers, the organisation, auditors, councillors, contractors and suppliers.
Key Selection Criteria:
Our ideal candidate will be able to show us their:
- Tertiary qualifications in Accounting and/or Financial Management and Membership of a recognised Accounting body with a minimum of five years’ experience in a senior financial accounting role and the management of resources (Local government experience well regarded but not essential) demonstrating a sound knowledge that understands, interprets and applies accounting legislation.
- Expertise in computer based financial systems and spreadsheeting.
- Successful record of preparation and coordination of annual financial statements.
- Proven leadership experience to motivate, develop and mentor individuals and a team with an ability to develop a climate of trust and confidence thereby encouraging ‘two way’ communication and team work.
- Effective time management and forward planning skills, plus the ability to prioritise and organise workloads in an environment of change and conflicting demand.
- Highly effective interpersonal skills, incorporating liaison, influencing, negotiation, analytical, problem resolution and written communication.
- Exceptional customer focused service delivery for positive workplace outcomes.
How to Apply
Visit our website www.wodonga.vic.gov.au/careers
Use the ‘apply’ button to commence your application.
Applicants will be required to upload three documents;
- a document addressing the key selection criteria as outlined above (support on how to address this criteria can be found here),
- a brief cover letter, and
- a current resume.
Prior to commencement, the successful applicant will be required to provide the following:
- a copy of a recent National Police Check (less than 3 months),
- a Current Drivers Licence,
- Any other mandatory requirements outlined in the position description (eg. First Aid, CPR, WWCC, Forklift).
The completion of a pre-employment functional assessment (paid for by Council) may also be required.
If applicable, evidence regarding right to work in Australia will need to be presented.
Dena Vlekkert - Director Corporate Services | email@example.com
Applications close 11:59pm, Monday 20 September, 2023.
Position Description below
Wodonga Council is committed to the safety and wellbeing of all children and young people.
Wodonga Council is an equal opportunity employer and provides many benefits for staff, including;
- employee health and wellbeing programs,
- flexible work arrangements,
- learning and development, and
- career pathways and opportunities.
The organisation prides itself on having a positive and supportive culture. We are committed to ongoing learning and development opportunities to grow and enhance the skills of our staff. We have a strong commitment to the council’s corporate values of trust, integrity, learning and respect.
We encourage applications from the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community; people with a disability; people from any gender identity and sexuality orientation; and people from every age, culture and ethnic background.
If you have special needs that we can address to assist you submit your application or to fully participate in the selection process, please contact us.
We welcome applications from veterans and defence families. If you are a veteran and would like to discuss how your skills may transfer across, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.